Aloe Vera has been used for thousands of years as herbal medicine. It is traditionally used for healing and hydrating the skin. It is known for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and is regarded as one of the most important plants used in Ayurvedic medicine.
Aloe Vera is great because of its versatility. You can use it both internally and externally and get countless benefits. Consuming ithelps detoxify the body, lower high cholesterol, supports immune health, boosts metabolism and aids in weight loss.
I love using it to improve my hair, skin and beauty regimen. I usually just take a slice of the leaf and use the gel as a moisturizer.
1) Add it to shampoo to moisturize hair
2) Use it as a face toner to heal damage and improve elasticity
3) Put it on cuts, burns, insect bites, eczema, or rashes to promote healing
4) Use the gel as a body moisturizer instead of lotion
5) Use it as brow or hair gel
6) Use as conditioner to promote hair growth
7) Use as an ingredient in a face mask or skin scrub
I use coconut oil daily. It is easily one of the most versatile products that I can’t live without. I usually use it to cook with, but there are so many other uses! I keep one jar in my kitchen and one in my bedroom.
Holistic Tip #1: always buy unrefined, organic, virgin coconut oil. Any large supermarket should have it!
- No lotion? No problem!
- the medium chain fatty acids act as a natural skin conditioner
- I use coconut oil after a shower instead of lotion
- most lotions have harmful parabens, synthetic colors, unnecessary fragrances, and other toxic ingredients. Why put that on your body?
- Dry hair Remedy
- this type of oil works as a great hair conditioner
- I usually apply a small amount to the ends of my hair after a shower while its still damp
- it can also be used as a deep conditioner; I take a couple tablespoons of coconut oil, Moroccan oil and ripe avocado and mush it on my scalp for an hour before rinsing.
- Out of makeup removing wipes?
- coconut oil can be a great substitute for any makeup remover
- it is especially useful when removing waterproof mascara
- I put a small amount on a cotton pad and gently rub it on my eyes and rinse
- this is great if you have dry or sensitive skin
- if you have oily skin or are prone to breakouts, don’t worry! It won’t leave your face feeling greasy
- Sun protector
- coconut oil provides some sun protection
- many sunscreens have toxic, cancer causing chemicals. Try reading the ingredients list! You’ll be surprised by how many you can’t pronounce.
- it protects against environmental and free radical damage
- Oil pulling
- it may sound crazy, but swishing 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth for 20 minutes has infinite oral benefits
- it is a natural, holistic way to reduce harmful bacteria in your mouth and improve gum health
- oil pulling (especially with coconut oil) helps detoxify the body, reduce inflammation, whitens teeth and improves breath
- make sure to brush your teeth afterwards 🙂